13/02/2014

Blueberry & Banana Muffins


How delicious do these blueberry & banana muffins look?! I found this recipe online while I was looking for some low-fat cakes for my mum - each muffin is approximately 200 calories. I hadn't made muffins for ages but they're surprisingly easy - basically just chuck all the ingredients in and mix 'em up!

You will need:
300g self raising flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda 
100g light muscovado sugar (plus extra for sprinkling) 
50g porridge oats (plus extra for sprinkling)
2 ripe bananas
284ml carton buttermilk*
5 tbsp olive oil
2 egg whites
150g punnet blueberries 

* I completely forgot to buy this so I looked online for alternatives and found that if you combine 3/4 cup of plain yoghurt with 1/4 cup of milk it works as a substitute for buttermilk.


Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4 and line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases. Put the flour and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl. Pour in the sugar and porridge oats. In a separate bowl mash the bananas until almost smooth (the riper the bananas the better!). Stir the buttermilk (or yoghurt and milk), oil and egg whites into the bananas and mix until combined.

Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and pour the liquid into it. Stir with a wooden spoon being careful not to over-mix - it's supposed to be really lumpy, as you can see below! Tip in the blueberries and briefly mix in.


Divide the mixture between the 12 paper cases. It looks like a lot of mixture for only 12 muffins but they're supposed to be really full and I was surprised that I actually used it all up! Try and make sure the berries are evenly distributed between the cases. Sprinkle the tops with the extra sugar and extra oats.


Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until they're a nice golden brown colour. They will smell amazing whilst they cook! Leave them to cool in the tin for five minutes before lifting them out and placing on a wire rack to cool completely.


Finally - eat them and enjoy them! The yoghurt and milk I used made the muffins really light and not at all stodgy like they can sometimes be. The blueberries are also delicious and it's a nice surprise to bite into one in the centre!


Hope you liked this recipe, let me know if you decide to give them a go! 

6 comments :

  1. They do look delicious - perfect for a yummy breakfast muffins :o) Xx

    Makeup by Candlelight

    ReplyDelete
  2. These looks amazing! I love blueberry and banana. I can't believe their only 200 calories!!

    Nicola xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I know I couldn't believe it either! xx

      Delete
  3. Loving your blog so far lovely, just followed you on GFC

    These muffins look delicious! Will have to give them a try

    Jenn www.BarelyThereBeauty.com | UK Beauty Blog

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) let me know if you try them out! xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...