22/12/2013

Mince Pies

 

This is my first baking blog-post so wish me luck! Even though I really love baking this is my first go at
making mince pies and they actually turned out pretty good, so I thought I'd share how I made them. These pies are from one of those recipe cards they have in Sainsburys. Although I changed it slightly, the basic method is the same.


You will need:
  • 1 pack of shortcrust pastry
  • 1 jar of mincemeat
  • 1 egg
  • 25g mixed peel
  • 75g cranberries
  • 75g white chocolate chips 
  • Light brown/demerara unrefined cane sugar (for dusting)
  • Icing sugar (for dusting)
  • Plain flour (for surfaces) 
  • Some flaked almonds for the tops 

1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas mark 6. Roll out the shortcrust pastry to about the thickness of a 20p. Using two different sized cutters cut out 12 circles for the bottom and 12 smaller circles for the tops. Gently push the larger circles into a fairy-cake tin and put into the fridge for about 10 minutes. Put the other circles aside. 


2. In a bowl mix together the mincemeat, cranberries, mixed peel and white chocolate chips. Remove the fairy-cake tin from the fridge and spoon some of the mixture into the pastry cases. 

3.Top the cases with the lids and push down. Brush with the beaten egg yolk, sprinkle with demerara sugar and top with some flaked almonds. 

4. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until they're a nice golden-brown colour. Leave them to cool, then dust them with icing sugar. 

And there you have it, of course you can make your own pastry and mincemeat, but that was way too time-consuming for me! Now all that's left to do is eat them, enjoy!
 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...