20/11/2013

Studying abroad...


If you'd told me when I first started my degree that in 3 years I'd be spending 2 and a half months in Venice I'd have smiled politely but thought you were crazy. But here I am :) Lots of people study abroad nowadays but I thought I'd share my experience anyway :)

Going to university has given me a lot of exciting, new opportunities and this is definitely one of them. I'm studying History of Art at the University of Warwick and for one term of my final year I get to spend it here in Venice. My experience of studying abroad probably differs a bit from the 'norm' because everyone from my course is here with me - so really it's like one big extended school trip! It's perfect for me because there's no way I'd have been able to/would've wanted to hop on a plane by myself and leave behind everything I know - I'm just not that independent! 

I've definitely realised that I'm a home-girl and that I love my home comforts - going to the supermarket for the first time was interesting. And who knew that Italians don't feel the need for kettles, toasters or ovens?! I've also developed quite a desire to go shopping due to only having one suitcase of clothes for 2 and a bit months. As for homesickness, it's fair to say that Whatsapp, Skype and Snapchat are the best inventions ever - being in constant contact with people that are in a different country still blows my mind!

But I'm glad I pushed myself out of my comfort zone because I've been to more places in the last 8 weeks than the rest of my life put together! My best friend flew out to see me for travel week (a week off from lectures when we could travel to other places in Italy) and we went to Pompeii, Rome, Florence and Pisa and saw some of the most famous landmarks in the world (my Instagram looks so great now). It's also given me a lot more self-confidence, which is probably one of the reasons I started my blog whilst being out here.

I'm really excited to come back to England to see my family and friends, have Christmas (yay!!) and have some toast, but first I'm going to make the most of my last 2 weeks in Venice and hopefully get some more wear out of my wellies...!

Have you ever studied/would you like to study abroad?

4 comments :

  1. wow what a great opportunity! I would love to study abroad one day :) Venice has always appealed, I've known quite a few people who have been,including relatives and they all say it's amazing! Nothing beats coming home at the end of it though and sharing your adventures with your family :D Great post! Enjoy your last 2 weeks :) L xo
    Head-full-of-flowers.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad you liked it :) Yeah it's lovely and so different to everywhere I've been, but will be so happy to come back home again!
      Really like your blog, just followed :) xx

      Delete
  2. How amazing to be studying in Venice! I would love to go, so glad you're enjoying it - must be such a beautiful place to be :-) xxx

    www.stylapetite.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's really beautiful :) Looking forward to getting back to England too though. Really like your blog, I'm following! xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...